Writing to Make an Impact: Expanding the Vision of Writing in the Secondary Classroom
by Sandra Murphy and Mary Ann Smith
Through ideas and practices straight from the classrooms of outstanding teachers, this lively resource illustrates writing that makes an impact on a reader, a writer, or a cause―writing that everyone wants to read. The book is rich with student work that shows how writing can make things happen in the world. The authors provide ready-to-use lessons that include a full range of writing, including poetry, narrative, petitions, proposals, emails, self-reflections, long-term projects, and critical analyses.
- Incorporates the voices and practices of many talented writing teachers.
- Employs an upbeat style with a clear, easy-to-follow framework.
- Encourages writing that changes minds, tells stories, calls for action, creates awareness or empathy, touches emotions, or promotes new thinking.
- Provides accessible teaching ideas, short exercises, and student models.
- Builds on students’ experiences with social media and their interest in social issues
|File Size:||643 kb|
Available for purchase from Teachers College Press.